Generators of Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, and or Used Oil must register for an EPA ID Number (EPA ID #) BEFORE they generate Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, or Used Oil. Click here for the form required to register for an EPA ID number. A registration fee is also required under District law.
Send one completed form and the appropriate fee for each address that generates Universal Waste, Hazardous Waste, or Used Oil. All checks or money orders must be made out to “DC Treasurer.” We cannot accept cash or credit cards at this time.
Mail the completed form and check to:
Department of Energy and the Environment
Hazardous Waste Program
1200 First Street, NE, 5th floor
Washington, DC 20002
Turn around time for a mailed form is approximately 2 weeks. If you make an appointment and hand deliver the form and fee, we can generate an EPA ID# in about 15 minutes.
EPA ID Number Registration Fees (as defined in District regulations):
- Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators: $200
- Small Quantity Generators: $500
- Large Quantity Generators: $1,000
- 30 day Temporary EPA ID number: $100
If you prefer to drop off your application and fee in-person, or if you have any questions regarding the registration process please contact:
- Mary Reeves – 202 671 3308 Mary.Reeves@dc.gov
- Victoria North - 202.535.1909 Victoria.North@dc.gov
- Lawrence Williams - 202.535.2298 Lawrence.Williams3@dc.gov
- Jan Walwyn - 202.671.5120 Jan.Walwyn@dc.gov