Department of Energy & Environment

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Benchmarking for Tenants

<<Back to Energy Benchmarking main page

Non-residential tenants are required, upon request, to provide their landlord with select information on their energy and water consumption and their use of their leased space, pursuant to the Clean and Affordable Energy Act of 2008 (CAEA). More information on the District benchmarking requirements is available.

What is required of tenants?

Non-residential tenants must respond to a building manager or owner’s request for energy, water, and certain space use information within 30 calendar days of the request. Non-residential tenants that do not comply can be fined by DOEE. Residential tenants are not required to directly provide any data to their landlord under this regulation.

Collecting Space Use Data

Follow Portfolio Manager’s Data Collection Worksheet or the data collection form provided to you by your landlord. Identify your primary use of your space based on this worksheet.

Collecting Utility Data 

Non-residential tenants are required to provide monthly utility data to their building owner or manager. Contact your utility company, or fill out a Utility Data Release Form, obtainable from DOEE, the utility, or your landlord. Have your account numbers and/or meter numbers readily available. Export and send filled out EPA data collection worksheet and signed Utility Data Release Form

How do I get help?

If you feel that a building owner or manager has requested more information than is required, or you have other questions, please contact DOEE at [email protected] or 202-671-3300.