Department of Energy & Environment

DC Agency Top Menu

Heat Emergency: A heat emergency is in effect for the District of Columbia.
Find information on cooling centers and libraries.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Energy Benchmarking Data Collection

Energy Meter

DOEE is pleased to inform you that both Pepco and Washington Gas provide access to aggregate whole building data that can be automatically uploaded to your property in Portfolio Manager®. Through Pepco’s Resource Advisor tool and Washington Gas’s Utilli tool, you can collect historic electric and natural gas data for your facilities and have online access to this historic data any time you need it, as well as monthly updates. To protect the confidentiality of individual tenant electricity use, this monthly data will be provided in aggregate form for the entire building. Once you have successfully set up your Resource Advisor or Utilli account, your utility provider will give you the information you need to have this information automatically uploaded into your Portfolio Manager account.

Aggregate data is most commonly needed when benchmarking multifamily properties. DOEE has now produced a detailed guide to benchmarking Multifamily Properties and collecting whole building energy data.

In order to benchmark your building(s) as required by law, you must collect energy and water consumption information along with information about how the space is used. This page describes the steps to data collection for a building owner, property manager, or their agent. (If you are a tenant, your requirements are described here.)

1. Identify the data you need

The District Data Collection Worksheets list all the information you must collect. The Instructions in the new Data Collection Worksheet detail how to comply and inform you of any changes made from one reporting year to the next. For a summary of requirements and compliance checklist, view this flyer from the DC Sustainable Energy Utility.

2. Identify Building ID

When reporting you must record your District of Columbia Real Property Unique Identifier Number. (Last year, this DOEE guidance referred to this number as the Unique Building Identifier, or UBI.) Download a list of covered buildings and Real Property Unique IDs here. If you cannot find your ID, contact DOEE at [email protected]. If you have previously reported benchmarking data to DOEE, you should find this new field pre-populated with the correct number(s).

3. Collect Space Use Data

In order to benchmark in Portfolio Manager, you don't just need energy and water data, you also need data about how the space in the building is used. You may already know this information already, or you may need to collect it from tenants. The District Data Collection Worksheets list all the data you must collect; non-residential tenants are required by law (20 DCMR 3513.5) to provide you with access to this data within thirty (30) calendar days of receiving a request. You should not be requesting data from residential tenants. You must request the space use data in writing. You can do this using the “Non-Residential Tenant Information Form” created by DOEE, or another written method of your choosing.  DOEE created the “Non-Residential Tenant Information Form” as a word document so that an owner or manager can delete non-relevant content and insert their own content or letterhead as needed.

4. Collect Energy and Water Consumption Data

Monthly whole-building utility data is required for all utilities and all building types, including multifamily residential properties. If you have 5 or more electric or 5 or more natural gas user accounts, you can get aggregated whole building consumption data from Pepco and/or Washington Gas. And with their "Resource Advisor" and “Utilli” tools, you can have this data automatically uploaded to Portfolio Manager, for both historical data and on a monthly basis going forward. To request aggregate data from these utility providers, please follow the instructions found on Pepco’s energy benchmarking page or Washington Gas’s energy benchmarking page.

If you have 5 or more natural gas accounts, you can now also get aggregated natural gas consumption from Washington Gas! To initiate the process, please review the information and fill out the request form published on Washington Gas’s Energy Benchmarking page.

If you have less than five non-residential tenants, you will need to have your tenant(s) complete and sign the Utility Account Information Data Release Form. This form authorizes the utility to provide consumption data to the requestor. DOEE has produced a single waiver form for all utilities; you can download the form as a stand-alone document or as Section B of the Non-Residential Tenant Information Form. Once filled out, provide copies of the form to all applicable utilities; contact information below. It can take up to 10 business days for the company to respond to your request.

Aggregate data is most commonly needed when benchmarking multifamily properties. DOEE has now produced a detailed guide to benchmarking Multifamily Properties and collecting whole building energy data.

Utility Contacts

Electricity:  Pepco’s Energy Benchmarking Website

Phone Inquiries: (202) 872-2040
Fax data requests to: (202) 872-3225
E-mail to[email protected]

Natural Gas:  Washington Gas’s Energy Benchmarking Site

Phone: (703) 750-4773 (Choose Option 2)
Email aggregate data requests to: [email protected]

Water: DC Water’s Website

Phone: (202) 354-3600
Email: [email protected]

Other utilities, like fuel oil or propane:

Contact your supplier. Report delivery dates and amounts in Portfolio Manager with “0”s entered for months when no delivery was made.

Special Note: Single Tenant Delegation

- Does your building have only one tenant?
- Do you manage an entire building that you are leasing from another party?

In these special cases, benchmarking responsibility may be delegated to the tenant. DOEE must be notified that this delegation is occurring. For more information, and to initiate the process, download the Single Tenant Delegation Model Letter.