On July 19, 2013, DDOE released the 2013 Rule on Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sediment Control (2013 SW Rule), which amended Chapter 5 (water Quality) of Title 21 (Water and Sanitation) of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (DCMR). DDOE also released the 2013 Stormwater Management Guidebook (2013 SWMG), which provides technical guidance on how to comply with the rule. Learn more about the purpose of the 2013 SW Rule and 2013 SWMG.
Submit Stormwater Management Plan Information Online
Use the Stormwater Database to submit compliance calculations and supplemental information to DOEE as part of its Stormwater Management Plan review process.
Transition to 2013 SW Rule and 2013 SWMG
Section 552 of the 2013 SW Rule describes DOEE’s plan for transitioning to the new stormwater management performance requirements. The official language is in the DCMR, but for the convenience of the public DDOE has provided a summary of the transition plan. Other provisions of the 2013 SW Rule (including those for erosion and sediment control, Stormwater Retention Credit trading, and service fees) take effect upon final publication of the rule.
Projects regulated under Transition Period 1 of the transition plan should consult the 2003 SWMG.
Beginning in August 2013, DDOE will hold a series of public training sessions on the new requirements in the 2013 SW Rule and 2013 SWMG. DDOE will schedule additional sessions based public interest. Sign up for DDOE’s notification list to receive updates (see information below). View the training schedule. View documents from training sessions.
- 2013 SW Rule
- 2013 SWMG and calculators
- Clarifications to the 2013 Rule and SWMG
- Transition plan summary
- 2003 SWMG - for projects vested under transition period 1 only
- 2003 Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook and list of certification courses
- Fee tables
- DOEE's Responses to Public Comments on Second Proposed Rule and SWMG
- Information about the public process to amend the rule and revise the SWMG
To be added to a notification list for news related to the rule and SWMG, please email Sarah Levine at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 741-2136.
If you have questions on the 2013 SW Rule and SRC trading, please contact Brian VanWye at Brian.VanWye@dc.gov or (202) 741-2121. If you have questions about the 2013 SWMG, to please contact Julienne Bautista at Julienne Bautista@dc.gov or (202) 299-3345.
- Stormwater In-Lieu Fee Special Purpose Revenue Fund FY2014 Summary Report
- Presentation Overview of 2013 Stormwater Rule [PDF]
- Article - Green Infrastructure Incentives in the Nation’s Capital from BioCycle, September 2013
- Presentation Why the District Needs Stormwater Retention [PDF]
- Article (“Making Stormwater Retrofits Pay”) from Water Environment & Technology Magazine
- ECONorthwest report on stormwater management and economic factors that influence developers’ decisions
- Industrial Economics, Inc cost analysis of an earlier (2010) version of the proposed stormwater management regulations