Properties generate Stormwater Retention Credits (SRCs) for voluntary green infrastructure that reduces stormwater runoff. Owners trade their SRCs in an open market to others who use them to meet regulatory requirements for retaining stormwater. Revenue creates incentives to install green infrastructure that protects rivers and provides other benefits.
This page provides resources on the SRC trading program. For full program details, view the Stormwater Management Guidebook and Stormwater Rule or contact Matthew Espie at (202) 715-7644 or [email protected].
- Visit the SRC and Offv Registry for lists of SRCs for sale, final prices of trades, current off-site retention (Offv) obligations and expected Offv and SRCs.
NOTE: The SRC and Offv Registry will be unavailable on May 6, 2017 from 9am-1pm EST for system maintenance.
- Create an account to login to the registry and apply to certify new SRCs or transfer, use and retire existing SRCs.
- Attend a training session and view eligibility requirements
- Join a conversation on the SRC program discussion board
- Press Release – DOEE Announces $12,750,000 for Innovative program to Incentivize Cost-Effective Green Infrastructure
- Press Release – DOEE Streamlines Online Tool for Stormwater Programs
- Brochure – Stormwater Retention Credit Trading & RiverSmart Rewards
- Audio – DC Introduces Cap and Trade System to Keep Dirty Water Out of Local Streams
- Press Release – Washington, DC Metropolitan Region Named North American Leader for Green Roofs
- Report - Stormwater In-Lieu Fee Special Purpose Revenue Fund FY2014 Summary Report
- Press Release – DDOE Launches New Stormwater Database
- Press Release – District Recognized at International Climate Leadership Awards
- Press Release – DDOE Approves First Stormwater Retention Credit Trade
- Press Release – DDOE Certifies District’s First Stormwater Retention Credits
- Stormwater In-Lieu Fee Special Purpose Revenue Fund Reports
- From Gray to Green: Stormwater Trading in Washington, D.C. – article from River Network’s River Voices Magazine
- Benefits of SRC Trading for District Waterbodies – article from Water Environment & Technology Magazine.
- SRC Trading and DC’s Stormwater Regulations – article from BioCycle Magazine.
- GIS Viewer for Impervious Areas in the District – shows impervious areas and is helpful for identifying areas that could be retrofitted with green infrastructure to generate SRCs. Contact DDOE for the underlying GIS files. You may also want to use the mobile friendly version.
- Limitations on SRC generation by DDOE-funded projects – explains the limited ability to generate SRCs on projects funded through RiverSmart Homes, Communities and other DDOE-funded programs.
- Template SRC Trading Contract – includes a template contract that buyers and sellers may adapt and use for their SRC trades.
- Financial Analysis and Tools – periodically updated, includes analysis on the SRC market and tools to calculate the financial return of green infrastructure.