In fiscal year 2017 (FY2017), the District of Columbia initiated a study to investigate the noise impacts on District communities from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (Reagan National Airport, DCA) air traffic operations and to identify operational changes to minimize noise to District residents in a manner acceptable to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) standards and criteria.
In FY2017, DOEE awarded a grant to Freytag & Associates, LLC for conducting DCA airplane noise assessment study. District’s ultimate goal is to assist FAA and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) with their goals for implementing the new Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) to optimize airspace and aircraft arrival and departure procedures and routes while minimizing noise exposure and impact on District communities. The grantee will analyze past and current DCA air traffic operations and noise effects. The result of this project will be specific recommendations to FAA and MWAA for changes in Air Traffic Control (ATC) procedures to minimize noise exposure to District residents while not adversely affecting the FAA’s goals of air safety and promotion of air transportation.
The DCA Airplane Noise Assessment project is expected to accomplish the following specific activities:
- Review all published DCA approach and departure procedures, prior noise studies, previous noise measurement reports, noise complaint files, noise monitoring data and DCA Roundtable records.
- Model past and current noise exposure from DCA operations over the District using FAA’s Aviation Environmental Design Tool (AEDT).
- Monitor noise exposure at locations in the District to validate noise modeling results.
- Conduct sleep awakening analyses for District neighborhoods significantly affected by nighttime DCA flights.
- Assess noise impact, per national standards for classroom disruption, for two schools in the District.
- Develop alternative ATC routes and modifications to existing routes.
- Develop recommendations for presenting to MWAA and FAA for their consideration.
- Document conclusions and recommendations in a comprehensive assessment report.
Contact: Dr. Rama Seshu Tangirala at [[email protected]] or (202) 535-2989
Fiscal Year 2017 Project
- Milestone Deliverables and Corresponding FY2017 DCA Project Grant Award Notice Activities (PDF also attached below)
March 8, 2017 - Project kickoff public meeting was held at 7 pm on March 8, 2017 at Rose L. Hardy Middle School (1819 35th St. NW). Public input was sought on the Fiscal Year 2017 DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Study after an introductory project presentation by Freytag and Associates.
- Response to Community Questions from march 8 Community Meeting
- Presentation - DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Project
- Handout - DCA Airplane Noise Assessment
- Agenda - DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Public Meeting
September 19, 2017 – FY2017 DCA airplane noise assessment project public meeting was held at 6 pm on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at Hardy Recreation Center (4500 Q Street NW). Public was invited for a discussion on the DCA Airplane Noise Assessment project work conducted so far in FY2017 after a presentation by the grantee Freytag & Associates.
- Agenda – FY2017 DCA Airplane Noise Assessment; September 19, 2017 Public Meeting (also attached below)
- Public meeting presentation – FY2017 DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Study Summary (also attached below)
Fiscal Year 2018 Project
The DCA Airplane Noise Assessment is still ongoing Additional funding was made available in FY2018 to complete the analysis and supplement the existing data.