The Air Quality Division works to protect the health and welfare of District of Columbia residents, visitors, and the natural environment by reducing the concentration of pollutants in the outdoor air. The Division issues permits, performs permit inspection and enforcement of laws, and monitors air quality while developing plans for its improvement.
Apply for an Air Pollutant Permit
The Division reviews designs and modifications for new and existing pollution sources and controls. Permits are issued allowing sources to emit limited amounts of pollution, meeting air quality laws.
Air Quality Inspections, Enforcement, and Outreach
The Division inspects major and minor sources of air pollution in the District, enforces air quality laws (including responding to outdoor air pollution problems), and performs education and outreach on air quality issues. Related work includes:
- Asbestos Abatement - Ensures that asbestos removal contractors protect their own health and safety, and the health and safety of building occupants and the general public.
- Vehicle Anti-Idling- With a few exceptions, motor vehicles powered by gasoline or diesel are not allowed to idle for more than three minutes while the vehicle is parked, stopped or standing.
Air Monitoring & Assessment
The Division measures pollutants in the District's air on a regular basis and creates plans to improve the District’s air. It also audits the Vehicle Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Program.
The DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Project was initiated by DOEE to investigate noise impacts to District residents from aircraft noise pollution. Read More>>
The District is expected to receive a total of $8.125 million from the Volkswagen settlement over their use of vehicle emission cheating devices. Read More>>
- Draft Spending Plan: DOEE has developed a Draft Spending Plan (Draft Mitigation Plan) regarding the use of the $8.125 million Volkswagen (VW) settlement allocation.
- Notice of Public Comment Period - Input on the District’s Use of Volkswagen Settlement Funds: DOEE is soliciting input from all interested parties. The deadline for public comment on the Draft Spending Plan is March 12, 2018 at 5:00 pm. Read More>>
- Public Information Open House: Wednesday, February 21, from 5:30pm to 7:30pm at 4058 Minnesota Ave NE (Department of Employment Services Community Room #1), conveniently located next to the Minnesota Avenue Metro station on the Orange Line. The public can submit comments and provide input during the Open House.
Recent Notable Events Related to Air Quality
- Public Notice: Draft 2017 Annual Air Monitoring Network Plan
- New Air Quality law addresses enforcement, demand-response generators, and mold.