Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.



Mold Information for Tenants

<< Back to Mold - What To Do main page

Use the Mold Complaint Submission Form to notify DOEE if you have mold contamination in your residence.

Mold is a natural development that occurs when water, moisture or humidity encounter a food source such as wood, carpet, ceiling, and floor materials. When mold develops on walls, ceilings and floor surfaces, try to locate the water source - such as plumbing leaks, roof leaks, ground water intrusion - and inform your landlord or owner as soon as possible.

The District of Columbia’s Air Quality Amendment Act of 2014 requires tenants to notify the landlord or property owner in writing (written or electronic) about mold concerns. The landlord/property owner must inspect within seven days of receiving the written notice about mold and has 30 days to remediate the condition. Mold contamination greater than 10 square feet requires a DOEE licensed mold professional to assess (evaluate) and/or remediate (fix) the problem. Mold contamination below 10 square feet can be addressed by a non-licensed individual, who must follow DOEE’s mold guidelines (Guidance Document).

If the landlord fails to inspect within seven days or repair the mold situation within 30 days, tenants can:

  • Inform DOEE the landlord/owner failed to inspect and repair moldy conditions and include the method used to notify the landlord/owner (i.e., copy of email, copy of text message, or copy of letter). Register your complaint by clicking the “Mold Complaint” link below.
  • Contact the District of Columbia Superior Court Housing Conditions Calendar at 202 879-1133 for assistance with filing a claim against the landlord (homeowner).
  • Call the Office of the Tenant Advocate (OTA) at 202 719-6560 to learn more about tenant rights and landlord’s responsibilities in rental spaces. OTA may refer to the tenant to a public advocate who can pay for a mold assessor to evaluate the home.
  • Choose a mold professional from the List of DOEE-Licensed Mold Professionals and pay for a mold assessor to evaluate the residence. If the tenant decides to bring a case to the Housing and Conditions Court against the landlord, the judge may order the landlord/homeowner to reimburse your cost for the mold assessment.


  1. If there is at least ten square feet of indoor mold growth, mold assessment and remediation must be performed or supervised by a DOEE licensed mold professional.
  2. Tenants must first notify the landlord/property owner in writing about mold issues in the home.
  3. Register your mold complaint with the Mold Complaint Submission Form.

More information on Mold

Contact TTY: