In additional to reducing the harmful impacts of stormwater runoff, installing green infrastructure on your property provides many environmental and economic benefits:
- Voluntarily-installed GI can generate income from selling Stormwater Retention Credits (SRCs) either on the open market or through the SRC Price Lock Program.
- Properties with GI may be eligible for RiverSmart Rewards discounts of up to 55% off DOEE’s Stormwater Fee and up to 20% off DC Water’s Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge. Both fees are collected on the DC Water utility bill and based on the amount of impervious surface on a property.
- GI creates a “greener” property, demonstrating you or your organization’s commitment to being a good environmental steward. In addition to helping protect our rivers, GI practices can have additional environmental benefits such as providing wildlife habitat and making the city cooler.
- GI can double as attractive landscaping, improving aesthetics and boosting property values.
- Depending on the practice, GI can save you money by reducing water consumption, heating and cooling costs, and property maintenance requirements.