In the five and a half years since the finalization of the 2013 Rule on Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sediment Control (2013 Stormwater Rule), the Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE) has learned from its implementation of the regulations. On February 15, 2019, DOEE proposed amendments to the District’s stormwater management regulations to provide compliance flexibility and exemptions for projects that have been disproportionately burdened by compliance, to improve environmental outcomes through updates to the Stormwater Retention Credit (SRC) program, and to update review fees and processes.
Understanding the Regulatory Change
You may find the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on the District of Columbia Register (D.C. Register).
- A PDF copy of the full stormwater management regulations with changes tracked relative to the current regulations and a PDF copy showing changes accepted.
- These documents are provided for convenience of stakeholders. The official document is located in the D.C. Register. In the event of a discrepancy, it should be understood that the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the D.C. Register is correct.
- A narrative explanation of the purpose of each change
- Map showing areas affected by the regulatory change
- 2019 General Retention Compliance Calculator
- DOEE has proposed amendments to the Stormwater Management Guidebook
- Estimate how the stormwater management regulations will apply to your project after the regulatory change takes effect.
- View a searchable map of areas that drain to the Combined Sewer System areas and areas that drain directly or through the MS4 to waterbodies.
- Sign up to attend a training workshop
- Workshop slides
Submitting comments on the proposed amendments
DOEE will accept comments on the proposed amendments until 4:30pm on April 1, 2019. To comment, you may
- Mail or hand-deliver comments to:
Department of Energy and Environment
Attention: DOEE Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
- Email comments to James Dunbar at [email protected] with the subject indicated as “DOEE Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations”
- Attend a public hearing at DOEE on March 20 at 4pm. Sign up online or contact Regan Wilhelm at [email protected] or (202) 671-5004 by 4pm on March 19th if you wish to present testimony