The Paint Stewardship Act of 2014 requires paint manufacturers to collect and reuse, recycle, or safely dispose of leftover paint. Manufacturers, or representative organizations of manufacturers, are required to register with DOEE, pay a registration fee, submit a paint recycling and management plan, and annually report on collection and recycling activities. All paint retailers are required to add a paint stewardship assessment to the price of paint to cover the cost of recycling and responsible disposal of discarded paint.
PaintCare, Inc., a nonprofit organization representing paint manufacturers, is implementing a Paint Stewardship Program Plan in the District. DOEE approved PaintCare’s revised plan on August 1, 2016, and PaintCare launched its program on November 1, 2016.
PaintCare submitted a modified program plan in August 2021 to DOEE, and DOEE approved the plan with revisions on December 17, 2021.
PaintCare establishes used paint collections through retail drop-off locations, one-day paint drop-off events, door to door pick-up services for households with at least 5 gallons of paint, and large volume pick-up services for anyone with more than 100 gallons of paint. Please visit PaintCare’s District of Columbia webpage or call (855) 724-6809 to find the nearest paint drop-off location to you or to schedule a pick-up.
Upcoming free paint drop-off events for households only:
RFK Stadium Lot 3, 2400 E Capitol St NE on select household hazardous waste days through March 2024.
- As of November 1, 2016, all paint retailers are required to add the PaintCare Fee to the purchase price of paint sold in the District. More information on the fee can be found on PaintCare’s webpage.
- Producers and retailers may only sell architectural paint in the District that is registered with PaintCare. View PaintCare’s lists of registered manufacturers and brands.
DOEE published a rulemaking establishing Paint Stewardship Program Infractions on January 17, 2020. DOEE may assess fines for these infractions. DOEE may also take court action to enforce compliance with paint stewardship requirements.
Please email [email protected] with questions related to implementation of PaintCare’s program.
- Paint Care's Modified Plan (December 2021)
- PaintCare’s Revised Plan (July 2016)
- PaintCare Regulations
- Paint Stewardship Act of 2014
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program – 2022 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2021 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2020 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2019 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2018 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2017 Annual Report