The District Department of the Environment (DDOE) has extended several energy efficiency programs. The programs, which are part of the Reliable Energy Trust Fund (RETF), are designed to make the District of Columbia more energy efficient. All programs are funded by a Pepco surcharge; funds for RETF programs were approved by the DC Public Service Commission.
If you live, work, or own a small business in the District, DDOE can help you save time, energy and money. Eligible electric customers are encouraged to take advantage of these RETF programs:
- FREE energy assessment for DC single family homeowners ($400 value). After the assessment, consumers apply for an energy loan.
- FREE energy assessment and up to $2,800 for DC small businesses.
- FREE replacement of Energy Star rated window air conditioning units and refrigerators for low-income DC homeowners and renters.
- FREE energy efficiency guide for religious institutions and non-profit organizations.
- ENERGY STAR rebates for DC electric customers: clothes washers ($150), refrigerators ($100) and window air conditioning units ($50).
- Learning institutions can receive 50 percent of the cost to conduct a comprehensive energy assessment