Willard InterContinental Hotel
2009 Mayor's Environmental Excellence Award Winner:
Outstanding Achievement by a Hotel
Willard InterContinental – The Next 100 Years
Based on the Three P’s (Profit-People-Planet), the holistic plan comprises interwoven sustainable projects designed for a luxurious urban hospitality experience in harmony with social and ecological consciousness.
Environmental Achievements at a Glance:
- 100% wind energy to power the hotel.
- Decrease in electricity consumption of 12% over past 5 years, even as occupancy rose.
- Donation of water well to a village in South Africa
- Donation of water well to a native American family in South Dakota
- Contributes to Earth Conservation Corps Anacostia River Clean-up, educational and vocational efforts.
- Overall electricity consumption including Café du Parc restaurant decreased 6.5% from 2007 to 2008 alone.
- 100% water reduction with water-free urinals. In its first year, 2005, the Willard saved over 95,000 gallons of water. Projected savings by 2009 are over one million gallons.
- Green chemicals for in-house laundry.
- 100% removal of PERC non-renewable dry-cleaning chemicals.
- All papers consumed on property are 30% recycled paper.
- Recycling success: 191 tons in 2008, land fill wastes (non-recyclables) decreased from 1029 tons in 2005, to 635 tons in 2008, a 38% reduction, even with a new restaurant added and 27% of this reduction came in 2008.
- In 2005, our first test year, we composted one ton. By 2008, our composting increased to 37 tons with a 33% increase over 2007.
- 100% elimination of oil-based paints
(Left to right)
Eric Dietz, Sam Petty, Mary Kostovny, Jill Yochus, Hervé Houdré, Katrin Motk, Sarah Garodz, Kevin Kirner, Anna Croll, Christine Canalez-Presock
(Missing from this picture are Jane Davis and Barbara Bahny-David)