ALERT: Under the leadership of Mayor Muriel Bowser, the Council for the District of Columbia and the District Government, have authorized financial assistance to provide emergency relief to District residents struggling with unpaid DC Water bills during the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency and 105 days thereafter. Eligible households may receive bill assistance up to $2,000 as a one-time emergency benefit.
In addition to this benefit, eligible households will receive one of the following discounts:
- Customer Assistance Program (CAP) provides a discount on the first 400 cubic feet (3,000 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month. Eligible households will receive a 50 percent reduction in the monthly CRIAC fee and a Water Service Replacement Fee waiver. The monthly discount is approximately $65 a month.
- Customer Assistance Program II (CAP2) provides a discount on the first 300 cubic feet (2,250 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month (with the exception of PILOT and ROW fees) and a 50 percent reduction in the monthly CRIAC fee. The monthly discount is approximately $45 a month.
- Customer Assistance Program III (CAP3) provides a discount of 75 percent off of the monthly CRIAC. The monthly discount is approximately $15 a month.
Income Guidelines for FY21 (October 1, 2020 - September 30, 2021)
The table below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
|Water Bill Relief Income Limits
(October 2020- September 2021)
|*Figures are capped by the Budget Support Act
How do I apply for CRIAC Assistance?
There are three ways to apply:
What documents do I need to apply?
To apply, pictures or scans of the following documents are required:
- Recent proof of income (pay stub, Social Security statement, proof of termination or unemployment, etc.)
- Government-issued, photo identification (license, passport, etc.)
- Recent DC Water bill
- If the DC Water bill is not in a household member’s name, you must include proof of property ownership or a lease agreement indicating proof of responsibility for water charges
- Complete and signed CRIAC Residential Relief Application
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Call (202) 350-9649 or email [email protected]
What should I do if I disagree with my CRIAC relief amount?
You may appeal the decision by contacting the Director of DOEE.