The DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Project was initiated by the DOEE to investigate noise impacts to District residents from air traffic operations from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (Reagan National Airport, DCA) and to identify operational changes to minimize noise to District citizens in a manner acceptable to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) standards and criteria.
The project goal is to assist the FAA with their goals in implementing the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) to optimize airspace and aircraft arrival and departure procedures and routes while minimizing noise exposure and impact to District citizens. To achieve this goal the project will rigorously analyze past and current DCA air traffic operations and noise effects. The result of this project will be specific recommendations to the FAA for changes in Air Traffic Control (ATC) procedures to minimize District noise exposure while not adversely affecting the FAA’s primary goal of air safety and promotion of air transportation.
The project will accomplish the following activities:
- Review all published DCA approach and departure procedures, prior noise studies, previous noise measurement reports, noise complaint files, noise monitoring data and DCA Roundtable records.
- Model past and current noise exposure from DCA operations over the District using the FAA standard Aviation Environmental Design Tool (AEDT).
- Develop alternative ATC routes and modifications to existing routes.
- Monitor noise exposure at three locations in the District to validate noise modeling results.
- Conduct sleep awakening analyses for District neighborhoods significantly affected by nighttime DCA flights.
- Assess noise impact, per national standards for classroom disruption, for two schools in the District.
- Attend periodic meetings and prepare reports on all study procedures to the DOEE.
- Draft findings, conclusions, and recommendations to the DOEE for their presentation to the DCA Roundtable and/or other public forums.
- Facilitate meetings with FAA officials (Potomac TRACON) and relative users, to present project findings and recommendations.
- Document all project activities and findings - conclusions and recommendations will be coordinated through the District DOEE in a project report.
Contact: Mark Adams at [email protected] or (202) 281-7485
Milestone Deliverables and Corresponding GAN Activities (.pdf also attached below)
April 19, 2017 - Historical Summary Report - ATC Procedures (.pdf also attached below)
March 8, 2017 - DOEE invited the public to present its comments at a public hearing on the DCA Airplane Noise Assessment Study after an introductory project presentation by Freytag and Associates.