Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

ddoe

Department of Energy & Environment
 

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

FloodSmart Homes

<< Back to Flood Risk Management main page

What is it?

DOEE is piloting a program called FloodSmart Homes that will send a professional to your home for a free flood resilience assessment and help identify the best solutions for your flooding concerns to reduce flood risk in your home. The professional will generate a report recommending the most useful and cost-effective resilience upgrades that would be a good fit for your home. If you agree to these upgrades, DOEE will install them at little to no cost to you.

Who is eligible?

DOEE’s goal is to serve all homeowners with flood risk who indicate interest in the program. Homes that are in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), also known as the 100-year floodplain, will be served first as they are at the highest risk during a flood. Following this, homes in the 500-year floodplain will be served, then all other homes who indicate interest and have documented flood risk. You can see if your home is in a floodplain by typing your address into the search bar at dcfloodrisk.org.

Sign up Now!

You can sign up for the program by:

  1. Completing the online survey here: bit.ly/floodpreventiondc
  2. Emailing [email protected]
  3. Calling 202-535-2600 and asking for the Flood Team

What You’ll Get

  1. Free Home Resilience Assessment and Report
    Eligible homes will receive resilient assessments and reports from experts in the field at no cost to the homeowner. The inspectors will visually assess conditions of the structure (both outside and inside), conduct site surveys and soil inspections, then generate a report that includes an analysis of the property characteristics, such as exterior, HVAC, electrical, water system, and foundation.

    Based on property characteristics and a cost analysis, the report will provide recommendations for the most helpful and cost-effective resilience upgrades that can be taken. The inspectors will be in constant communication with the homeowner to schedule assessments and answer any technical questions.
     
  2. Free Counseling
    After the Home Resilience Report is generated, the professional assessor will hold a meeting with the homeowner to break down their findings and recommendations for resilience upgrades. The homeowner will have an opportunity to select their preferred upgrades and learn more about how their home can be more resilient to flooding.
     
  3. Free Installation of Flood Proofing and Resilience Upgrades
    Once the homeowner agrees on the upgrades to install, DOEE and its contractors will professionally install the upgrades at little to no cost to you.  Here are some examples of Hhome resilience upgrades that may be recommended in the Assessment and ultimately installed by DOEE and its contractorsto the homeowner are as follows:
  • Mitigation warning kits with weather radios and water intrusion alarms
  • Electrical outlet elevation and/or replacement with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets
  • Installation of anchoring straps on water heaters, heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) equipment, and other appliances located below the design flood elevation
  • Sealing of HVAC ducts to prevent water damage and mold growth
  • Sump pumps
  • Removable flood barriers
  • Sewer backflow prevention valves
  • Elevation of outdoor mechanical and electrical equipment
  • Flood vents in crawlspace walls to relieve water pressure and prevent damage
  • Whole-home elevation*

*Additional Notes on Whole-Home Elevations

Home elevations are typically accomplished by elevating the existing structure on piles, posts, or piers, and filling in the basement and replacing it with an elevated floor. Recipients would be required to maintain flood insurance coverage on elevated homes, but elevation dramatically reduces the premium for a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policy. Any remaining rooms below the design flood elevation would be allowed as long as such enclosures are wet-floodproofed and used only for parking, storage, or access. If your property is selected, federal funding could pay for 75% of the project cost. You may be responsible for the remaining 25%, but we are working to identify additional funding opportunities to cover the latter share for residents with financial need.

Contact TTY: 
711