Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Energy & Environment

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Hazardous Waste - Annual Fee and the Self-Certification

Annual Fee

The Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE) charges an annual fee for obtaining and keeping an EPA ID Number, pursuant to Section 4390 of the Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (20 DCMR 4390).  All Hazardous Waste Generators or Universal Waste Handlers are required to pay an annual fee according to their respective generator status on or before March 1 of each year.  Invoices are typically mailed in December.


Fee Schedule

  • Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG) (less than 8 employees): $100
  • Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG) (8 or more employees): $250
  • Small Quantity Generators (SQG): $500
  • Large Quantity Generators (LQG): $1,000
  • Transport, Storage and Disposal Facility (TSDF): $2,500

Payment Information

Pay by Check or Money Order:

  1. Make payable to the District of Columbia Treasurer
  2. Include EPA# on check or money order
  3. Mail, FedEx or UPS to:

Department of Energy and Environment
Hazardous Waste Branch
1200 First Street, NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Attn: Mary Reeves

Pay by Credit Card
You may use your Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or American Express Card.  We do not charge a convenience fee.
Have your EPA ID # and credit card number, Card Code Verification (CCV), and credit card expiration date on hand when you are ready to make your online payment.

- Pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT/ACH)
- Contact Mary Reeves at 202-671-3308

Annual Self-Certification of Compliance


Each Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) (formerly known as Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator) and Small Quantity Generator (SQG) shall complete an Annual Self–Certification of Compliance (Form 502) electronically on or before March 1 of each year. 


Large quantity generators are not required to submit an Annual Self-Certification of Compliance.  They are required to submit a biennial report by March 1 of even years.  View the Instructions for submitting the biennial report.

Contact TTY: