As of January 4, 2018: District homeowners who install rain barrels are eligible for a rebate based on the volume of stormwater that is captured and stored from rooftops. Rebates are issued as a direct reimbursement to homeowners at a rate of $2 per gallon captured. For example, a 50-gallon rain barrel would yield a $100 rebate after installation. Rebates may not exceed $1,000 per property and rebate amounts may not exceed the cost of the barrel. The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay administers rain barrel rebates on behalf of DOEE.
Property owners of residential buildings, commercial buildings, and community spaces in the District are eligible, including those who have already received RiverSmart Homes or RiverSmart Communities funding.
To qualify for a rebate, a rain barrel must:
- Hold a minimum of 50 gallons;
- Have an overflow mechanism that is at least 2 inches in diameter;
- Include a screened inlet to prevent leaf debris and mosquito larvae from entering;
- Have a spigot within 3 inches of the bottom of the barrel; and
- Be elevated to increase water pressure.
A list of pre-approved barrels that meet the rebate criteria is available in the Rain Barrel Rebate Information Packet below. Homeowners can build their own barrels, but must submit a schematic and receipts for all parts purchased. Reimbursement cannot exceed the cost of the parts.
- Download application materials (attached below) or request them by contacting Erin O’Grady at the Alliance via phone (202) 905-4945 or email [email protected]
- Assess your site to determine location, volume, and type of barrel best for your site (see Rain Barrel Rebate Information Packet for tips)
- Purchase a barrel (DOEE nor the Alliance sell rain barrels)
- Install the barrel (a list of fee-for-service installers is available by request by contacting Erin O’Grady)
- Submit the rebate application, receipt, and before and after pictures to Erin O’Grady at the Alliance via email [email protected] or mail to: 501 Sixth Street, Annapolis, MD 21403.
Rain Barrel Rebate Information Packet and Application Forms attached below: