RiverSmart Homes offers rebates to residents who purchase and install rain barrels on their properties. Rebates are issued as a direct reimbursement at a rate of $2 per gallon of rain barrel capacity. For example, a 50-gallon rain barrel would yield a $100 rebate. Rebates may not exceed $1,000 per property and rebate amounts mat not exceed the cost of the rain barrel. The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay administers the rain barrel rebates on behalf of DOEE.
Who is eligible for the rebate?
Property owners of residential buildings, commercial buildings, and community spaces in the District are eligible for rain barrel rebate program, including those who have already received RiverSmart Homes or RiverSmart Communities funding.
How To Get A Rain Barrel Rebate
- Review the Rain Barrel Rebate Guide, Rain Barrel Rebate Application, and Rain Barrel Rebate Installer List
- Assess your site to determine the best location, volume, and type of rain barrel for your home
a. Take photo(s) of the location before your barrel is installed
- Purchase a rain barrel that meets all criteria (outlined below and in the Rain Barrel Rebate Guide)
a. Rebates can only be issued for barrels that meet all criteria
b. Save the receipt for proof of purchase
c. Second-hand purchasing of barrels/purchasing used barrels is allowed, as long as the barrel meets all criteria and proof of payment is provided
- Install the rain barrel (yourself or hire a qualified contractor to do it for you)
a. Take photo(s) of the location after your barrel is installed
- Submit your rebate application, documents, photos, and proof of payment to Queen Richardson at [email protected]
In order to qualify for a rebate, a rain barrel must:
- Hold a minimum of 50 gallons
- Have an overflow mechanism that is at least 2 inches in diameter
- Include a screened inlet or filter that helps prevent leaf debris and mosquito larvae from entering
- Have a spigot within 3 inches of the bottom of the barrel
- Be elevated to increase pressure
A list of rain barrels that are pre-approved for the rebate can be found in the Rain Barrel Rebate Guide.
If you have any questions about the RiverSmart Homes Rain Barrel Rebate Program, or if you’d like to submit a rebate application, please contact Queen Richardson with the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay at [email protected] or (202) 910-9796.