District homeowners who install rain gardens that reduce and/or treat stormwater runoff from impervious surfaces on their property are eligible for a rebate. A rain garden is a garden designed to capture and infiltration stormwater from the property, preventing it from running into the city sewer system.
Rebate amounts are determined by project type and are issued as a direct reimbursement to homeowners once the project is completed, inspected, and approved.
How It Works
The Rain Garden Rebate Program is administered by the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (the Alliance) on behalf of DOEE. Funding is limited so rebates are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Property owners who have already received a RiverSmart Homes grant are eligible for rebate funding.
- A minimum of 50 square feet of rain garden (project area) must be installed
- A minimum of 400 square feet of stormwater needs to be redirected from the roof through a downspout or from other runoff sources to the project area
- Only plants native to the Chesapeake Bay Watershed may be planted in a rain garden
Before Construction Begins
- Determine project location.
- Review the Rain Garden Rebate Program Homeowner Guide and Rebate Application Packet (see below).
- Perform a percolation test. The Perc Test Worksheet is part of the Rebate Application Packet.
- Select a contractor or determine the equipment you will need if you will be performing the work yourself.
- Submit the Rebate Application Packet, including a design sketch, itemized invoice, Perc Test Worksheet, Rebate Maintenance Agreement, and before photos to Jamie Alberti at the Alliance via email ([email protected]) or mail to: 501 Sixth Street, Annapolis, MD 21403.
- Receive approval from the Alliance to begin project installations (this will require a pre-construction inspection, if you have not already received a DOEE Stormwater Audit).
After Construction is Complete
- Notify Jamie Alberti ([email protected]) at the Alliance that construction is complete and project is fully paid for.
- Submit after photos of project site, final invoice, and a Project Completion Form if any changes to the original design occurred.
- Schedule a post-construction inspection with DOEE or the Alliance.
- Expect to receive a rebate reimbursement check in the mail 2-6 weeks after post-construction approval.
Homeowner Rebate Packet
The Rain Garden Rebate Homeowner Guide and Application Packet are attached below.