The Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge (CRIAC) Residential Relief Program provides relief for income-eligible DC Water customers.
The CRIAC Residential Relief Program consists of three levels of relief:
- Customer Assistance Program (CAP) provides eligible DC Water customers a discount on the first 400 cubic feet (3,000 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month. Eligible households will receive an additional fifty percent (50%) reduction in the monthly CRIAC and a Water Service Replacement Fee waiver. The annual discount is approximately $760.
- Customer Assistance Program II (CAP2) provides eligible DC Water customers a discount on the first 300 cubic feet (2,250 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month (with the exception of PILOT and ROW fees) and 50% reduction in the monthly CRIAC. The annual discount is approximately $520.
- Customer Assistance Program III (CAP3) provides eligible DC Water customers with a discount of 75% off of the monthly CRIAC. The average annual discount is approximately $210.
The table below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
CAP Income Limit CAP 2 Income Limit CAP 3 Income Limit
Size 60% of SMI 80% of AMI 100% AMI
1 $30,918 $65,650 $82,050
2 $40,431 $75,000 $93,750
3 $49,944 $84,400 $105,500
4 $59,457 $93,750 $117,200
5 $68,970 $101,250 $117,200*
6 $78,483 $108,750 $117,200*
7 $80,267 $116,250 $117,200*
8 $82,051 $117,200* $117,200*
*Figures are capped based on language from the Budget Support Act.
How do I apply for CRIAC Assistance?
- CRIAC Residential Relief Application
- Email your application and documentation to [email protected]
- Mail your application to DOEE, Attn: CRIAC Residential Relief Program,
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC 20002.
What documents do I need to apply?
To apply, copies of the following documents are required:
- Photo identification for the applicant;
- The most recent tax return for each member of the household; and
- Your most recent DC Water bill.*
*If the DC Water bill is not list with a household member’s name, you must include proof of property ownership or a lease agreement indicating proof of responsibility for water charges.
How often can I receive assistance? Once per fiscal year.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Call 311 or email [email protected]
What should I do if I disagree with my CRIAC relief amount?
You may appeal the decision by contacting the Director of DOEE.