The Paint Stewardship Act of 2014 requires paint manufacturers to collect and reuse, recycle, or safely dispose of leftover paint. Manufacturers, or representative organizations of manufacturers, are required to register with DOEE, pay a registration fee, submit a paint recycling and management plan, and annually report on collection and recycling activities. All paint retailers are required to add a paint stewardship assessment to the price of paint to cover the cost of recycling and responsible disposal of discarded paint.
PaintCare, Inc., a nonprofit organization representing paint manufacturers, is implementing a Paint Stewardship Program Plan in the District. DOEE approved PaintCare’s revised plan on August 1, 2016, and PaintCare launched its program on November 1, 2016.
PaintCare’s 2021 modified program plan
In August 2021, PaintCare submitted its modified program plan to DOEE for approval. In line with DC law, DOEE is making this plan available for public review for at least 30 days before determining whether to approve it. The notice of availability for public review and comment was published in the DC Register on October 8, 2021.
PaintCare establishes used paint collections through retail drop-off locations and one-day paint drop-off events. Please visit PaintCare’s District of Columbia webpage or call (855) 724-6809 to find the nearest paint drop-off location to you.
Upcoming free paint drop-off event for households & businesses:
- Please check back for upcomming events.
- As of November 1, 2016, all paint retailers are required to add the PaintCare Fee to the purchase price of paint sold in the District More information on the fee can be found on PaintCare’s webpage.
- Producers and retailers may only sell architectural paint in the District that is registered with PaintCare. View PaintCare’s listed manufacturers and brands.
DOEE published a rulemaking establishing Paint Stewardship Program Infractions on January 17, 2020. DOEE may assess fines for these infractions. DOEE may also take court action to enforce compliance with paint stewardship requirements.
Please email [email protected] with questions related to implementation of PaintCare’s program.
- Paint Stewardship Act of 2014
- PaintCare’s Revised Plan
- PaintCare Regulations
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2017 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2018 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2019 Annual Report
- PaintCare DC Paint Stewardship Program - 2020 Annual Report