The Building Energy Performance Standards (BEPS) program was set forth in Title III of the Clean Energy DC Omnibus Act of 2018. The BEPS is a minimum threshold of energy performance that is no lower than the local median ENERGY STAR score (or the equivalent metric of Source EUI) by property type. The Standards were created to drive energy performance in existing buildings to help meet the energy and climate goals of the Sustainable DC plan — to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption by 50% by 2032.
DOEE established the first set of Standards on January 1, 2021. Standards will then be set every 6 years, creating BEPS Periods (BEPS Period 1, BEPS Period 2, etc.). These requirements build upon the success of the District’s Energy Benchmarking program, so if you are mandated to benchmark, the BEPS program applies to your building. As the benchmarking requirements ratchet down in square footage over time, buildings will be subject to the BEPS requirements in following periods until all buildings 10,000 sq. ft. and over are following the performance standards.
- BEPS Period 1: Private buildings ≥50,000 sq. ft. and DC-owned ≥10,000 sq. ft.
- BEPS Period 2: Private buildings ≥25,000 sq. ft. and DC-owned ≥10,000 sq. ft.
- BEPS Period 3: Private buildings and DC-owned ≥10,000 sq. ft.
The 2021 Building Energy Performance Standards and a Guide to the 2021 BEPS are available for viewing. Buildings that do not meet the Standard for a BEPS Period will be placed in a Compliance Cycle. The building owner has until the end of the Cycle to bring their building into compliance following one of the Compliance Pathways. More details about the Pathways will be available once the rule makings and guidance documents are finalized by DOEE.
The first public comment period on the BEPS Program proposed rulemaking closed on March 4, 2021. If you would like to see the proposed rulemaking, a presentation on the rulemaking, or Task Force recommendations, see the links below:
- DC Register - BEPS proposed Rulemaking - Public comment period (closed)
- Benchmarking and BEPS Proposed Rulemakings Presentation and Q&A
- BEPS Task Force Recommendations for Rulemaking report
- Building Energy Performance Standards Compliance Guidebook – coming soon
To stay involved in the development of the program, use the links below:
- Events & Engagement
- BEPS Task Force
- Energy Benchmarking DC Scorecards
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
- Building Innovation Hub
If you are interested in learning more about BEPS, please contact us at [email protected].
If you are interested in staying up-to-date on the activities of the BEPS Task Force, please fill out this form >>