If the private portion of the service pipe is lead, and the public portion is not lead, the property owner is eligible for the Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program (LPRAP).
While every property owner can receive 50% of costs covered (not to exceed $2,500), regardless of income, some residents will qualify for 80%-100% assistance depending on their household size and income:
Income Guidelines for FY20 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020)
The table below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
|1||$67,950||$84,900||No Income Limit|
|2||$77,650||$97,050||No Income Limit|
|3||$87,350||$109,150||No Income Limit|
|4||$97,050||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|5||$104,800||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|6||$112,600||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|7||$120,350||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|8||$121,300*||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
*Figures are capped by the Budget Support Act
|Assistance Level||Percentage of costs covered|
|1||100% of costs, up to the established cap|
|2||80% of first $2,000 of costs, plus 100% of costs over $2,000|
|3||50% of costs, not to exceed $2,500|
How do I apply?
To determine if your household is eligible for LPRAP, search your address. If your private side pipes are lead but the public spaces pipes are not, you are eligible for this program.
You can apply online, by email, or through mail:
- Online LPRAP Application
- Email your application and documentation to
- Mail your LPRAP Application to DOEE, Attn: Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program, 1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC 20002.
The following documents must be submitted with the application in order to be considered:
- Quote from a contractor (including the length of the pipe, the pipe material, and a picture of the point of entry). For more information, visit: DC Water's guidance page
- Household’s most recent DC Water bill;
- Property owner’s photo identification;
- Proof of property ownership; and
- Proof of income for each member of the household (if seeking approval for the income-eligible program).
NOTE: DO NOT START WORK until your application has been approved and you have received a benefit confirmation letter. DO NOT pay a deposit to the contractor.
What guidelines and materials should plumbers and contractors be aware of?
- Guidance for contractors/plumbers (DC Water)
- Latest Cost Proposal Graphic and Payment Request Form (DC Water)
Who do I contact if I need assistance?
- Call 311 or email [email protected]