The Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Load (Bay TMDL) 'pollution diet' is based on Watershed Implementation Plans (WIPs) developed by the District and the six states in the Chesapeake Bay watershed to meet pollution limits that support a healthy Chesapeake Bay. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency expects the District and states to refine their WIPs over multiple phases in order to better inform restoration efforts.
- District’s Phase I WIP informed the Chesapeake Bay TMDL – November 29, 2010
- District’s Phase II WIP further explained work with key stakeholders – March 30, 2012
- District’s Phase III WIP available for public review – April 10, 2019
Comments can be submitted by emailing [email protected] or by completing a survey at: surveymonkey.com/r/dcwip by June 7, 2019
Phase III Watershed Implementation Plan
The District is developing a Chesapeake Phase III Watershed Implementation Plan to reduce pollution to the Chesapeake Bay as well as improve the health of local waterways, protect and restore fish and wildlife habitat, increase resilience to the impacts of climate change, and provide opportunities for District residents.
Learn more about how the District is engaging key stakeholders in developing its Phase III WIP :
Wastewater Treatment Plants
Wastewater represents approximately 90% of the nutrient pollution load from the District to the Chesapeake Bay. DOEE is working with DC Water and EPA to ensure Phase III WIP commitments for wastewater treatment plants are consistent with Clean Water Act permit limits.
Federal land represent almost 30% of the land area in the District. DOEE has:
- May 24, 2018: Held a webinar for federal agencies about the Phase III WIP (Recording and Presentation)
- May 31, 2018: Hosted a workshop to train federal agencies on developing pollution reduction strategies under the Phase III WIP and reporting pollution reduction progress (Agenda and Presentation)
- Provided federal agencies with local planning goals identifying federal agencies’ share of pollution reduction efforts (Planning Goals and Methodology)
- Explained how to assign credit for pollution reduction practices on federal lands, including opportunities for DOEE and federal agency collaboration and credit-sharing (Credit Protocol)
- October 19, 2018: Hosted a workshop for federal agencies on local planning goals and developing pollution reduction strategies (Presentation)
- February 13, 2019: Hosted a training for federal agencies and their supporting contractors on use of Chesapeake Assessment Scenario Tool (CAST) tool.
DOEE has formed a Chesapeake Partner Advisory Group (C-PAG) comprised of organizations that help deliver programs to improve watershed health in the District. The C-PAG will hold a series of roundtables to inform WIP development
- Roundtable 1: October 22 (Presentation | DOEE Programs Handout | Targeted Watershed Map)
- Roundtable 2: December 4th (Presentation | C-PAG Issues & Suggestions)
- Roundtable 3: February 7th (Presentation)
- Roundtable 4: May 14th, 2019 (Presentation)
Mark your calendars for our public meeting opportunities. Signup links will be provided as they become available.
Wednesday, May 15 - University of the District of Columbia - 4200 Connecticut Ave NW - 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - RSVP Here >>
Meeting Co-Hosts: UDC CAUSES, Rock Creek Conservancy
Thursday, May 23 - Riverside Recreation Center - 5200 Foote St NE - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm - RSVP Here >>
Tuesday, May 28 - THEARC - 1901 Mississippi Ave SE - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm RSVP Here >>
Meeting Co-Hosts: Building Bridges Across the River, Anacostia Coordinating Council, Anacostia Park and Community Collaborative
Monday, June 3 - Monique Johnson Anacostia River Center and Pumphouse - 1520 First St SE - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm - RSVP Here >>
Meeting Co-Hosts: Earth Conservation Corps
Additional meetings and registration details will be shared as they become available.
Other opportunities to learn about the Draft Phase III WIP:
Tuesday, April 30 - 11:30 am - Anacostia Coordinating Council April Meeting
Tuesday, May 14 - 7:30 pm - Anacostia Watershed Community Advisory Committee Monthly Meeting - RSVP >>
Tuesday, May 28 - 11:30 am - Anacostia Coordinating Council May Meeting
The Final Phase III WIP will be completed on August 9, 2019