Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.



Registering For An EPA ID Number

Frequently Asked Questions about the EPA ID Number registration process in DC

DC uses the Federal registration form, Form 8700-12, “RCRA Subtitle C Site Identification Form”. Click here for the form.

The current version of this form is an updated combination of three older forms. The instructions for filling out this form are therefore quite long. The first 40 pages of the instruction booklet have the instructions on how to fill out Form 8700-12. Click here for the complete instructions and forms.

When do you need to resubmit the form?

Any time information on the form is out of date, such as:

  • When the contact person changes
  • When your mailing address changes
  • Before your facility generates a new regulated waste.
  • When the owner or operator changes

Forms may be hand delivered or mailed with the required fee to:

Department of Energy and Environment
Hazardous Waste Branch
1200 First St NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
ATTN: Mary Reeves

Click here for the fee schedule

Mailing address (page 1, item 5):

Be sure to use a mailing address where someone involved in managing hazardous waste, universal waste and/or used oil will receive the mail and address the item promptly. We will mail all correspondence, including the Annual Self-Certification of Compliance, the annual renewal invoice, and any fines or warnings to this address. We can only capture one mailing address.

If you need to add a room number, suite number, or attention line to ensure prompt attention, include it on the “Street Address” line.

You can use an out-of-state mailing address.

What is my NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) code (page 1, item #7)?

NAICS codes are business classification codes; your accountant often knows what your code is.

If you don’t know your code, you may look it up at

You may list up to 4 codes.

Who should the contact person be (page 2, item 8)?

The contact person should be someone knowledgeable about the site, the processes that use chemicals or generate chemical waste, and any hazardous waste, universal waste and used oil at the site.

This is the person we will ask for when we conduct an inspection.

What do I put in 9.A and 9.B (page 2)?

The legal owner and legal operator are usually businesses, not individuals. If the legal owner or legal operator is an individual, list their name.

Don’t forget to provide a date (month/day/year) for 9.A and 9.B.

What are the codes for 10.B (page 3)?

Check your manifests and review your processes to identify the appropriate codes. See the regulations for specific definitions and additional details. There are over 560 codes; they can be viewed here. If you need help determining the proper codes, please contact us.

Commonly used codes include:

D001 (ignitable). This includes, but is not limited to, oil based paint waste, paint thinners, and many items in aerosol cans. See the official definition here.

D002 (corrosive). This relates to pH. This includes, but is not limited to, concentrated floor strippers, battery acid, muriatic acid, and some water treatment products. See the official definition here.

D008 (lead). This includes, but is not limited to, lead wheel weights and lead counter weights, but also some lead-based paints. See the official definition here.

D009 (mercury). We suggest all businesses that have fluorescent light bulbs list D009 because they contain mercury and it is very rare that a business never breaks a lamp. See the official definition here.

There is no code for PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) in DC; you do not need to list it on the form. However, you may need to notify the US EPA of your PCB activities. Click here for more information on PCBs.

There is no code for used oil in DC; you do not need to list it on the form.

There is no code for asbestos in DC; you do not need to list it on the form.

You must update your list of codes each time your company generates a new regulated waste.

What are the codes for 10.C (page 3)?

There are no state specific codes for DC. Leave this section blank.

Do I mark yes or no for large quantity handler of universal waste (page 4, item 11.B.1)?

Most sites should mark “No”. To be a large quantity handler of universal waste, you must accumulate 5,000 kilograms (approximately 11,000 pounds) or more of universal waste at your site.

If you mark “No”, we will assume that you are a small quantity handler of universal waste.

What do I mark for 16 (page 5)?

Mark “No”. No one in the District may opt into this program.

Don’t forget to sign the form at the bottom of page 6!