“Sustainability is about balancing the environmental, economic, and social needs of the District of Columbia today as well as the needs of the next generation, and the one after that.” - Mayor Bowser
The application period for the District Sustainability Awards and Clean Energy Award is now open!
DOEE is now accepting applications for the 2023 District Sustainability Awards & Clean Energy DC Award. The award period runs from January 2 to February 10, 2023.
Application links are below:
2022 District Sustainability Award Winners Highlighted in Short Film
The winners of the 2022 District Sustainability Awards have been announced on YouTube on Thursday, July 7, 2022. View the 2022 winners>>
The short film features each of the seven winners describing, in their own words, why they chose sustainable operations and practices. In addition, DOEE will recognize the winners through a press release and make case studies available.
Please join us in congratulating the winners, who are each doing their part to make the District the healthiest, greenest, most livable city for all residents.
About the District's Sustainability Awards
The District Sustainability Awards highlight businesses, individuals, and organizations that are working towards a more sustainable DC. Awardees’ projects and programs support the Mayor’s Sustainable DC Plan, which aims to make the District the nation’s greenest, healthiest, most sustainable city; it encompasses equity, governance, education, built environment, climate, economy, energy, food, nature, transportation, waste, and water.
If you are considering applying for an award base on environmental impact, we recommend that you provide available data (e.g., energy consumption, water usage, recycling, and waste reduction) for your building or office space.
Examples of Environmentally Sustainable Operations or Activities:
- Install new equipment or develop new incentives to encourage behavior that improves energy and water efficiency in your building.
- Start a comprehensive waste management program which includes recycling, composting, waste reduction, and/or donation.
- Install solar panels, a green roof, rain gardens, or porous pavement at your building or as a part of your offered services.
About the Clean Energy DC Award
The Clean Energy DC Award recognizes a person or organization that has executed an energy-related project(s) that demonstrates a new and innovative technology, strategy or model; and/or, has significant replication potential. The project should result in measurable energy/fuel savings and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared to business as usual. The project should fall within one of the four sectors covered by the CEDC Plan:
- Buildings (new and existing; residential and commercial),
- clean energy supply,
- and, grid modernization.
Examples of Socially and Economically Sustainable Operations or Activities:
- Hire people of color who represent marginalized communities or increasing the economic and social empowerment of your employees.
- Provide funding to community organizations based in marginalized communities.
- Create methods of decision-making that include diverse community members affected by your business, in ways that distribute power.
- Tackle root problems by engaging directly-affected communities to find solutions, organize against oppression, and create mechanisms for change.
For more information about the District Sustainability Awards, please contact MaryLynn Wilhere at DOEE’s Urban Sustainability Administration at (202) 870-2924 or [email protected].