On January 17, 2019, Mayor Bowser signed legislation for two new lead water service line replacement programs:
- Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program (LPRAP) – Starting October 1, 2019, the District has allocated $1.8 million dollars to complete the replacement of lead pipes on private property if the pipe in the public space is not lead (see below for details on how to apply). NOTE: You must receive approval from DOEE and DC Water in order to receive assistance through this program; and
- Full Lead Water Service Line Replacement Program – Starting October 1, 2019, the District has transferred $1 million from the District to DC Water to cover the complete cost of the lead water service pipe replacement on private property when DC Water replaces the portion of lead pipe in public space during a capital improvement project (i.e., water main replacement). NOTE: Customers do not need to apply to this program and DC Water will contact you if there are any planned projects in your neighborhood.
NOTE: If no capital improvement is scheduled for two years, and both the public and private portions of service pipe are lead, property owners can enroll in the Voluntary Lead Service Pipe Replacement Program. Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis and this program is subject to the availability of funding.
Income Guidelines for FY20 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020)
The table below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
|1||$67,950||$84,900||No Income Limit|
|2||$77,650||$97,050||No Income Limit|
|3||$87,350||$109,150||No Income Limit|
|4||$97,050||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|5||$104,800||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|6||$112,600||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|7||$120,350||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
|8||$121,300*||$121,300*||No Income Limit|
*Figures are capped by the Budget Support Act
|Assistance Level||Percentage of costs covered|
|1||100% of costs, up to the established cap|
|2||80% of first $2,000 of costs, plus 100% of costs over $2,000|
|3||50% of costs, not to exceed $2,500|
How do I apply?
To determine if your household is eligible for the Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program (LPRAP), search your address. If your private side pipes are lead but the public spaces pipes are not, you are eligible for this program.
You can apply online, by email, or through mail:
- Online Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program Application
- Email your application and documentation to
- Mail your application to DOEE, Attn: Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program, 1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC 20002.
The following documents must be submitted with the application in order to be considered:
- Quote from a contractor (including the length of the pipe, the pipe material, and a picture of the point of entry). For more information, visit: dcwater.com/LSR-guidelines;
- Household’s most recent DC Water bill;
- Property owner’s photo identification;
- Proof of property ownership; and
- Proof of income for each member of the household (if seeking approval for the income-eligible program).
Determine if your household will receive a lead pipe replacement as part of a DC Water Capital Improvement Project.
Who do I contact if I need assistance?
Call 311 or email [email protected]