Retailers of covered electronic equipment (CEE) have responsibilities under eCYCLE DC. These requirements include sales restrictions on unregistered brands and providing point-of-sale information on how to properly recycle purchased electronic equipment.
Sales Restrictions on Nonregistered Manufacturers
Retailers may sell or offer for sale new covered electronic equipment (CEE) in the District only if
- the equipment is labeled with a readily visible brand identifying the manufacturer, and
- the manufacturer has registered with DOEE; or
- the manufacturer is exempted from these requirements.
- Registered or Exempt Manufacturers and Brands List 2022 (last updated 7/22/22; the 2023 list will be posted in the coming weeks)
DOEE has identified manufacturers whose CEE is being sold in the District even though the manufacturers are not registered with DOEE or exempt from registration. Retailers may not sell their CEE.
- Nonregistered Manufacturers List (last updated 1/30/23)
If a nonregistered manufacturer registers, it will be removed from the Nonregistered Manufacturers List.
A retailer will not be subject to penalties for selling or offering to sell CEE received from a manufacturer whose registration has expired or been revoked if (1) the manufacturer was registered at the time the retailer took possession of the equipment and (2) the sale occurred within 6 months of the expiration or revocation.
Point-of-Sale Information to Customers
Beginning January 1, 2018, retailers shall provide point-of-sale information to customers on how to return purchased covered electronic equipment for recycling.
DOEE has developed the following POS signs, which retailers may use to meet their POS requirements.
- eCYCLE DC Retailer Point-of-Sale Sign (Full Page)
- eCYCLE DC Retailer Point-of-Sale Sign (Quarter Page)
DOEE published a rulemaking establishing Electronics Stewardship Program Infractions on May 17, 2019. DOEE may assess fines for these infractions. DOEE may also take court action to enforce compliance with electronic stewardship requirements.
Please email [email protected] with questions.
Visit the eCYCLE DC Resource page for a complete list of resources and documents for the eCYCLE DC program.