Department of Energy & Environment

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Lead-Safe and Healthy Homes

Photo of a child's hand on a window seal

Resources for Residents

Who can I hire?

The following list consists of the individuals and business entities certified by DOEE to conduct lead-based paint activities in the District of Columbia. DOEE does not endorse or refer companies or individuals. Their presence on this list does not represent a statement about the quality of their work or customer service.

If you are looking for someone who is trained in lead-safe work practices and able to perform non-abatement activities such as “interim controls,” the EPA provides a list of DC-based certified firms that may be able to meet your needs.  If you choose to hire one of these firms to conduct non-abatement activities involving the elimination of lead-based paint hazards in your home or child-occupied facility, please be aware that the person doing the work must have documentation that they were trained in lead-safe work practices, such as documentation proving their Certified Renovator status. Also, please remember that such documentation is not enough to qualify these individuals to conduct abatement activities. Only DOEE-certified abatement personnel are qualified and eligible to conduct lead abatement activities in the District of Columbia. Read More>>

What can I do about it?

  • Use a filter to remove lead from water you use for drinking or cooking.
  • Use lead-safe work practices [PDF] (English and Español) when disturbing paint during home repair or maintenance.
  • Get your soil tested if you have a home vegetable garden.
  • Dispose of old electronics properly (Department of Public Works).

Questions? Submit your questions through the Lead Questionnaire Form.

For more information about the CLPPP or the Healthy Homes Program, call (202) 535-2624.
For more information about compliance or enforcement, call (202) 535-1934.
For more information about permitting and lead-based paint activity notifications, call 202-654-6003.
For more information about training provider accreditation or individual/business certification, call (202) 535-2637.