If you are a homeowner in the District of Columbia and have fallen behind on your mortgage and utility payments, you may qualify for monetary assistance through the DC Homeowner's Assistance Fund. Get more information and apply for assistance.
ALERT: As of June 2022, the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) funding has depleted. This means the District can no longer issue direct bill payments on DC Water accounts. DOEE is still accepting applications for the CRIAC Residential Relief Program (CRIAC), a water discount program. CRIAC provides a percentage off of an eligible household's total monthly water fees, information regarding eligibility requirements is available below.
In addition to this benefit, eligible households will receive the CAP1 discount:
- Customer Assistance Program I (CAP1) provides a discount on the first 400 cubic feet (3,000 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month. Eligible households will receive a 75 percent reduction in the monthly CRIAC fee and a Water Service Replacement Fee waiver. The monthly discount is approximately $80 a month.
- Customer Assistance Program II (CAP2) provides a discount on the first 300 cubic feet (2,250 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month (with the exception of PILOT and ROW fees) and a 50 percent reduction in the monthly CRIAC fee. The monthly discount is approximately $52 a month.
- Customer Assistance Program III (CAP3) provides a discount of 75 percent off of the monthly CRIAC. The monthly discount is approximately $14 a month.
Water Affordability Income Guidelines
The tables below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
|FY23 Water Bill Relief Income Limits
(October 2022 - September 2023)
There are three ways to apply:
- Online CRIAC Residential Relief Application
- Email your application and documentation to [email protected]
- Mail your application to DOEE, Attn: CRIAC Residential Relief Program
- 1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC 20002
To apply, pictures or scans of the following documents are required:
- Recent proof of income for everyone in your household (pay stub, Social Security statement, proof of termination or unemployment, etc.)
- Government-issued, photo identification (license, passport, etc.)
- Social Security cards for everyone in your home
- Recent DC Water bill
- If the DC Water bill is not in a household member’s name, you must include proof of property ownership or a lease agreement indicating proof of responsibility for water charges
- Complete and signed CRIAC Residential Relief Application
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Call (202) 350-9649 or email [email protected]
What should I do if I disagree with my application decision relief amount?
You may appeal the decision by contacting the Director of DOEE.
DC Water Cares Multifamily Assistance Program (MAP)
DC Water has implemented a program that encourages owners of eligible multifamily properties in the District to participate in MAP while funding lasts. The property owner will have to complete an application and agree to the program terms in order for their tenants to benefit. The assistance amount is the same for each unit of the property and is configured based on account details. For each unit occupied by an eligible tenant, DC Water will post a credit to the owner’s water service account. The owner will then post the credit to the tenant’s rental account. This will result in a rent reduction by the amount due for tenant’s share of the water bill. More information is available.
For Owners, applying on their tenants’ behalf will apply through DC Water.
For tenants, there are two ways to apply:
- Online through DC Water Cares
- by Mail: Print, complete, and send your completed application along with copies of the following documents:
- Applicant’s photo identification (Driver’s license, passport, government issued photo identification);
- Proof of household income for each of the income earning household members listed in the application, such as a recent paystub, Social Security benefit letter, or unemployment.
- Social Security Card(s) for the applicant and each household member
Send application and documents to:
DOEE, Attn: DC Water Multifamily Assistance Program, UAA
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Call DC Water directly at (202) 354-3750 or email [email protected]