New generators of hazardous waste, handlers of universal waste, and generators of used oil must obtain an EPA Identification Number (EPA ID #) with the Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE) BEFORE they start generating waste. A completed EPA ID number registration form and a registration fee are required under District regulations. The Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE) charges a fee for obtaining and keeping an EPA ID Number, pursuant to Section 4390 of the Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (20 DCMR 4390).
- Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG) (less than 8 employees): $100
- Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG) (8 or more employees): $250
- Small Quantity Generators (SQG): $500
- Large Quantity Generators (LQG): $1,000
- Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facility (TSDF): $10,000
- Provisional (short term/temp) EPA ID Number (30 days): $100
Submit a completed EPA ID number registration form (8700-12) and the appropriate fee for each address (physical location) that generates hazardous waste, universal waste and/or used oil.
Pay by Check or Money Order:
- Make payable to the District of Columbia Treasurer
- Mail, FedEx or UPS to:
Department of Energy and Environment
Hazardous Waste Branch
1200 First Street, NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Attn: Mary Reeves
Turnaround time for a mailed form is approximately 2 weeks. If you make an appointment to hand deliver the form(s) and the fee, we can generate an EPA ID number on the same day.
If you have any questions regarding the registration process, please contact:
Mary Reeves, Compliance Specialist
[email protected] | 202-671-3308