Generators of hazardous waste, handlers of universal waste, and generators of used oil must register with the Department of Energy and Environment for an EPA Identification Number (EPA ID #) they generate waste. . A registration fee is also required under District regulations.
Send one complete form and the appropriate fee for each address (physical location) that generates hazardous waste, universal waste, and/or used oil. All checks or money orders must be made out to “DC Treasurer”. We cannot accept cash or credit cards at this time.
Department of Energy and Environment
Hazardous Waste Branch
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
ATTN: Mary Reeves
Turnaround time for a mailed form is approximately 2 weeks. If you make an appointment to hand deliver the form(s) and the fee, we can generate an EPA ID number in the same day.
- Conditionally exempt small quantity generators (less than 8 employees): $100
- Conditionally exempt small quantity generators (8 or more employees): $250
- Small quantity generators: $500
- Large quantity generators: $1,000
- Provisional (short term/temp) EPA ID Number (30 days): $100
If you prefer to drop off your application and fee in person, or if you have any questions regarding the registration process, please contact:
Contact Phone: (202) 671-3308
Contact TTY: 711