Department of Energy & Environment

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Receive Assistance With Your Utility Bills (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP provides important services in Washington, D.C. Here are interviews with direct beneficiaries of the program & program administrators. This video also includes an introduction from Gene Sperling, White House Coordinator for the American Rescue Plan.

ADVISORY: DOEE is not accepting appointments at this time and the Taylor Street and MLK Energy Centers are closed until further notice. Please note that major utilities will not disconnect services during this emergency period. DOEE is accepting applications via the online application and the mail – further instructions are provided below.

On June 1, 2020, DOEE began providing emergency utility assistance to residents who owe $250 or more on a utility account. This is a one-time payment to a single utility and benefits will be the amount owed, up to $750. Prior to June 1, 2020, DOEE required a disconnection from energy service, an oil tank at 5% or less of capacity, or, for residents fifty-five or older, a disconnection notice to qualify for the emergency benefit.

DOEE assists income-eligible District households with heating and cooling energy costs through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Eligible households may receive energy bill assistance between $250 and $1,800 as a one-time regular energy assistance benefit. This benefit is based on household size, total household income, heating source, and type of dwelling.

Additionally, residents may apply for the Utility Discount Program in order to receive a reduced rate on their utility costs. To learn more, please visit the Utility Discount Program.

How to apply online:

How to apply via the mail:

Print and complete this application along with copies of the documents listed below (translated applications attached below).

Mail the application to:

Attn: Utility Affordability Administration
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
Washington DC, 20002

Submit the following documents:

  • Your service disconnection notice or a letter from the utility company that states the service has been disconnected (if applicable);
  • Your most recent utility bills (or a copy);
  • A government-issued photo ID;
  • Proof of income for everyone in your home who receives income; and
  • Social Security cards for everyone in your home.

LIHEAP Income Guidelines for FY22 (October 1, 2021 - September 30, 2022)

Household Size Maximum Annual Income
1 $42,920
2 $56,126
3 $69,332
4 $82,538
5 $95,744
6 $108,950
7 $111,426
8 $113,902

LIHEAP Income Guidelines for FY23 (October 1, 2022 - September 30, 2023)

Household Size Maximum Annual Income
1 $47,437
2 $62,033
3 $76,629
4 $91,225
5 $105,821
6 $120,417
7 $123,153
8 $125,890

Customers who receive assistance with their energy bills through LIHEAP are automatically eligible to receive a free Home Energy Kit from the DC Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU). Home Energy Kits include six energy-efficient LED light bulbs, a smart power strip, and a bathroom faucet aerator, and will help you reduce your energy use and your carbon footprint. Request a Home Energy Kit.

Office Locations:

1207 Taylor St., NW
Washington, DC 20011

  • ADA Compliance
  • Interpreter services Available
  • Serving Wards 1,2,3,4, 5 & 6

2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20020

  • Interpreter services available
  • ADA Compliance
  • Serving Wards 6,7, & 8

Additional Resources

Contact TTY: