Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Energy & Environment

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Notice: As of February 15th, 2023, DOEE’s Emergency Mechanical System Replacement, Weatherization and Lead Replacement Program’s Budget has been exhausted until further notice all new applications for any of the programs listed will be placed on our waitlist. Any applicants that were notified by DOEE of missing documents will also be placed on our waitlist, if documentation was not provided as of February 15th, 2023. DOEE still has funding available for our HUD program, which requires the property to be built before 1978 AND a child under the age of 6 to either reside or frequently visit the dwelling.Weatherization Logo

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and Department of Health and Human Services, provides low-income residents technical and financial assistance to help reduce their energy bills by making their homes more energy-efficient. WAP performs energy audits and installs audit-recommended energy efficiency measures to help families maintain energy-efficient, safe, and healthy homes. In the District, WAP is administered through selected Community-Based Organizations and non-profits that hire local contractors to install the energy efficiency measures recommended by the energy audit.

Typical weatherization measures may include insulation, duct sealing, heating, and cooling systems repairs or replacement, air infiltration mitigation, roof repair, mold remediation, and installing ENERGY STAR lighting and appliances.

Income eligibility for WAP is verified by DOEE’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Once you apply for LIHEAP please contact (202) 299-3316 and let them know your interest in the Weatherization and/or Emergency Mechanical System programs.  If you are requesting WAP services, please attach copies of the documents listed below and email them to [email protected]:

  • Most recent bank statement (checking and savings)
  • Most recent mortgage statement or copy of the deed to verify homeownership
  • Proof of homeowner's or renter's insurance
  • Most recent utility bills (gas, water, oil, and/or electric)

To receive services from either program you must first APPLY for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) or someone in the household must currently receive Social Security Income or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

For questions regarding the Weatherization Assistance Program and/or Emergency Mechanical System Program please email [email protected] or contact the Residential Service Line at 202-299-3316.

Income Guidelines for FY23 (October 1, 2022 - September 30, 2023

Household Size Maximum Annual Income
1 $79,700
2 $91,100
3 $102,500
4 $113,850
5 $125,250
6 $136,650
7 $148,050
8 $159,400

Notice of Public Hearing and Comment Period - WAP Proposed State Plan
DOEE invites the public to present its comments on the Fiscal Year 2024 Proposed State Plan for the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). The deadline for comments is March 24, 2023. Read More>>

Contact TTY: