ALERT: With Mayor Bowser adjusting the District’s operating status in response to coronavirus (COVID-19), all non-essential agency events, gatherings and meetings are postponed. DOEE remains open. All staff will work remotely, except in limited cases. All DOEE operations and services remain unchanged unless otherwise stated. For operating status of DC Government and more information on response, please visit coronavirus.dc.gov.
Please note that major utilities will not disconnect services during this emergency period.
The Utility Discount Programs (UDP) assists low-income District residents reduce their utility costs. To qualify, your utility bills need to be in your name and you must meet income guidelines (below) established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
If you're eligible, you could receive discounts of:
- Up to $475 per year on your electric bills ($300 per year if you don't have electric heat).
- Up to $276 during the winter season on your gas bills.
- Over $400 annually on your water and sewer bills.
To obtain a Lifeline home phone service application, please call 1-800-234-9473 or online at: checklifeline.org/lifeline.
How to apply online:
How to apply via the mail:
Print and complete this application along with copies of the documents listed below.
Mail the application to:
Attn: Energy Assistance
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
Washington DC, 20002
Submit the following documents:
- Your service disconnection notice or a letter from the utility company that states the service has been disconnected (if applicable);
- Your most recent utility bills (or a copy);
- A government-issued photo ID;
- Proof of income for everyone in your home who receives income; and
- Social Security cards for everyone in your home.
How to apply in-person:
DOEE is not accepting appointments at this time.
Bring the following documents with you:
- Your government issued ID
- Proof of income for all household members
- Social Security cards for everyone in your home
- Your most recent PEPCO, Washington Gas, and or DC Water bills (or a copy)
1207 Taylor St., NW
2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., SE
Income Guidelines for FY21 (October 1, 2020 - September 30, 2021)
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Income|