ALERT: With Mayor Bowser adjusting the District’s operating status in response to coronavirus (COVID-19), all non-essential agency events, gatherings and meetings are postponed until further notice. DOEE remains open. All staff will work remotely, except in limited cases. All DOEE operations and services remain unchanged unless otherwise stated. For operating status of DC Government and more information on response, please visit coronavirus.dc.gov.
Our programs are changing daily due to Covid-19. Below you will find a general list of programs we offer. Please email [email protected] regarding questions and availability.
Who We Are:
- The AREC is a multi-use environmental education center located in Anacostia Park, SE run by DOEE.
- It opened in 1986 and renovated in 2005 to include classrooms and aquaculture.
- The center exhibits over 40 species of fish, amphibians, reptiles, and invertebrates found in the District and the Chesapeake Bay.
Programs We Offer
Pre K- 12th Grade Field Trips:
- Online Education: Our online education materials are in development.
Please check back soon!
- Summer Camps/Programs: AREC staff biologists can help with your summer camp through virtual presentations or small group activities.
- River Explorers Boat Tours: Take a tour of the Anacostia River through the Anacostia River Explorers Boat Tour.
- Community Group Programs: AREC tours can be provided to community groups but are presently on hold due to the Coronavirus. Check back soon for updates.
- Teacher Trainings: Training workshops are available for formal and informal educators. We train educators using Project WILD, Aquatic WILD and Growing Up WILD curricula. We also provide Angling Instructor workshops. Read more>>
Angler Education & Clinics:
- Tackle Loaner: At the AREC we love to fish and hope that you do to! We offer a loaner program including free rental of rods and tackle.
- Fishing Clinics:
Family Fishing Pop-up Events
FREE Family Fishing Pop-ups at Anacostia Park! Every Thursday from 5-7pm, outside of the AREC. Equipment, bait, & tackle provided. Read More>>
Take a minute to explore DOEE’s Learn to Fish and Fishing in the District pages.
Aquatic Resources Education Center Location
1900 Anacostia Drive SE
Washington, DC 20020
Inside Anacostia Park, Section E
(next to Skating Pavilion) (see map)
Phone: (202) 535-2276 | Email [email protected]
Thank you to our grant funders at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife service who allow all these programs to be free.